Addiction Recovery Programs in Westport (203) 571-0064
Recovery programs are designed to help those with a drug or alcohol addiction enjoy lifelong recovery from physical dependency. Recovery programs start with detox to break the physical addiction, which is followed by the administering of various treatment therapies that address the highly complex underlying issues that contributed to the addiction.
Recovery programs include a wide range of diverse inpatient and outpatient programs, from government-sponsored rehab facilities to private treatment centers and community-based programs. Recovery programs may cater to the general public, or they can be geared toward specific genders, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation.
Call Drug Treatment Centers Westport to get more information about the treatment programs and services available. Dial (203) 571-0064.
Addiction Treatment Therapies
Treatment therapies for substance abuse and addiction help patients sort through the underlying issues surrounding the addiction and help them develop skills and strategies to reduce stress, cope with triggers, and manage cravings. Drug and alcohol treatment programs use four basic models of addiction treatment therapy.
- Cognitive and behavioral therapies helps patients identify and change unhealthy ways of thinking and behaving as well as develop coping skills.
- Family therapy addresses dysfunction at home, which is a major trigger for substance abuse. Families learn healthy communication skills and work through various issues to improve family dynamics.
- Motivational interviewing is an essential part of treatment that helps patients identify their own motivations for wanting to beat a drug or alcohol addiction.
- Motivational incentives give patients tangible, external motivations, such as cash or vouchers, to promote sobriety, meeting goals, and attending therapy and recovery sessions.
Types of Treatment Therapies
Most recovery programs utilize a wide variety of traditional and alternative treatment therapies to ensure a holistic approach to recovery.
- Smart Recovery is an alternative to traditional 12-Step programs and promotes four main points of recovery: a balanced lifestyle, managing thoughts and behaviors, maintaining motivation, and coping with cravings.
- 12-Step programs provide sponsors who are available day or night to help those in the beginning stages of recovery through rough times. Group meetings provide support and the opportunity to offer it, and they allow members to share resources and increase their level of accountability.
- Biofeedback is a tool for reducing stress, another major trigger for substance abuse. Patients learn to control involuntary bodily responses to stress, such as elevated blood pressure and muscle tension, through various techniques like progressive relaxation and deep breathing.
- Yoga is part exercise and part meditation, and it promotes balance and flexibility of both body and mind. Yoga helps reduce stress and contributes to an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Moral reconation therapy helps those with lower level reasoning skills see a bigger moral picture in terms of how actions and behaviors affect them and society in general. This therapy is essential for those who are ambivalent or resistant toward recovery.
The Principles of Effective Treatment
Years of research have led to the development of the Principles of Effective Treatment, which should guide all recovery programs. These best-practices tenets include the acknowledgement that:
- Addiction is a complex but treatable disease that affects brain structure and function as well as behavior and thought processes.
- Not everyone in recovery will respond to every type of treatment therapy.
- The most common and successful types of therapy for treating an addiction are group and individual counseling.
- Detox only addresses the physical aspects of an addiction, and an individual in treatment has complex underlying issues surrounding the addiction that must be addressed in order for treatment to be successful.
- Treatment plans must be re-evaluated regularly to ensure they’re addressing new and changing needs.
- Individuals with an addition may also have a co-occurring mental health disorder that requires separate, but integrated, treatment therapies.
- Treatment for a drug addiction doesn’t have to be voluntary in order to be effective.
At our Drug Rehab Centers, we have the knowledge and experience needed to treat your substance abuse and addiction disorders. Call Drug Treatment Centers Westport today at (203) 571-0064.